Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Asian Invasion and What Was Found in the Shower

us on a ferries wheel waiting for our new comps on p day 
Another transfer down and time is only going faster. Its absolutely insane to me how the week is already over, and then just like that I am in my 11th transfer! HOW DOES IT DO THAT? Well, we got our transfer calls on Saturday, and I was told I would be staying here in Talence as senior comp, and that my new companion would be Elder Sebra. It's like zebra but with an 's', and yes, I AM the very first and only person to make that joke 😁 haha I'll talk about him really fast before I move onto other subjects and forget. He is from California, he is one transfer younger than me in the mission, and he is super funny and loves to laugh, alors voilà! I have a lot to tell you people about, so I'll get right to it. 

Chinese food
We had a lot of rdvs fixed for this past week, both with members and amis. It was such a great week, and we ate very well. On Tuesday, we had some great rendez-vous with our amis, who just so happen to be Chinese! (In case you all didn't know by now, I love Chinese people so much, so whenever I have an opportunity to contact one, I do it). Our first was with a college student named Ling. He texted us and said that he was going to be a little late, and asked if he could bring a friend and we of course said OUI! His friend turned out to be super cool too, his name is Yue. We went to the institute and played ping pong, baby fut, and billiards, then they took us to get a drink, but since we don't drink we all just got sodas haha. We talked about God, who he is and who we are. It's important not to go too fast with Chinese amis because they have no Christian base. When we asked if they believed in God they said "we don't know..." but it was incredible to testify of a loving Heavenly Father! Then we went to our RDV with Junjie, who has only been in France for 1 month so there was a little language barrier there but nothing grave. We took him on a tour of the chapel and talked with him. He is super great! He said that he thinks if Chinese people believed in God, they would be as happy and nice as Americans haha He also said that when he talks to his deceased grandpa about things, his heart is full, so when we explained prayer, he said that it's like when our hearts are full with warmth. We will continue to work with them, and I am so excited to see the miracles that the Holy Ghost can perform for them! 

this is the red fountain and the cool 
JAs who took us to lunch
Otherwise, we visited some members who are older and have a 26 year old son who is pretty cool. They fed us lunch, we talked and then he son drove us back to ville. But we stopped by a store that has an American section and he bought us Reese's to our hearts desires hahaha it was like mana! Some other young adults took us and the sisters out to lunch at this great bistro and Elder Steadman and I split a delicious and huge steak, as well as there were unlimited frites and salad (but who needs salad when you have frites?! *not I says cholesterol*) haha we also walked past a fountain near centre ville that spews wine. I'll send a picture. Then that night, the sisters ami invited us all over (she's Chinese as well), and made us a traditional Chinese dinner and OH GRACIOUS it was delicious! I am mastering chopsticks, I can eat whole meals with them and feel full after haha. Fun fact: in French they're called baguettes haha 

proof
I bet you are all thinking "what was found in the shower?" Thats a good question, and I will respond with a story. Elder Steadman and I both wear contacts, but we take them out to sleep and don't put them in until we are getting ready for the day. Well, one day I got out of the shower and put my contacts in and was looking around at the marvelous, clear world. Well I saw something out of the corner of my eye that made me do a double take, and then because of that I had to do a triple take! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I got closer, and confirmed that I was looking at what I thought it was. I called elder Steadman to come and let me know if I was crazy or not, so he came into the bathroom and was just as shocked as I was. Sitting in the corner of our shower on the caulk in between the tile wall and the wooden bathtub plank was a full grown.... mushroom. Literally a mushroom had grown in our shower. It was incredible! I have never heard of that! We laughed and laughed and then plucked it out and cleaned our shower. Well, I learned an important lesson from this: when we are not using our spiritual eyes, fungus can start to grow all over the showers of our faith and testimony. Just as neither of us had looked around our shower with clarity for a time, there are times in all of our lives where maybe we don't see the gospel as important or we put other priorities above prayer, scripture study or church. As soon as we finally start to see again, there may be some mushrooms growing in unexpected places, mushrooms of doubt, discouragement, laziness or even disbelief. As soon as we spot them, we need to be willing to do what it takes to pluck them out! And then, with the help of the Atonement acting as a cleaning agent, our testimonies and our faith can be free of any mushrooms, big or small, and they will be back in daily use! 😉 

I hope you liked the analogy and I'm sure there are many other ways to apply it, but if we are just taking the story for what it's worth, a mushroom grew in our shower and that's kind of weird... 

I love you all! Merci pour votre soutien! Have a great week and I can't wait to write you all on Halloween! 

Avec amour, 
Elder Hall


Your Favorite Missionary 

Parc Piexotto (our contacting park) 

No comments:

Post a Comment